Morgan Appel, Director, Education Department
In this last installment of our arts and education series, we explore the multitude of resources available locally and globally for administrators, teachers and school communities alike. Fortunately, a resurgence of interest in arts integration brought about by the advent of Common Core State Standards and a broader inter-segmental understanding of the value of differentiation and diverse ways of learning and knowing.
Beyond the Education and Arts and Humanities Departments at UC San Diego Extension, there exist a multitude of local venues and educational institutions that support arts integration. They include:
- Balboa Park museums (especially Automotive, Air and Space)
- UC San Diego School of the Arts (lesson plans, curriculum, teaching artists)
- California State University, San Marcos
- San Diego State University, School of Art and Design
- University of San Diego
- Arts-in-education programs (and teaching artists)
- ArtReach, San Diego
- Chicano Park
- Collaborative Arts Resources for Education (CARE)
- Arts Education Resource Organization, San Diego
- A Reason to Survive
- California Center for the Arts, Escondido
- Local arts galleries and stages (for culminating performances and exhibitions)
- House of Blues Foundation
- La Jolla Playhouse
Online resources include the following:
- Arts Education Partnership: http://aep-arts.org/
- ArtsEdge (Kennedy Center): http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/
- Getty Resources for Teachers: http://www.getty.edu/education/for_teachers/
- NAEA: http://www.naea-reston.org/olc/pub/NAEA/home/
- California Arts Education Association (CAEA): http://www.caea-arteducation.org/
- California Association for the Gifted (CAG): http://www.cagifted.org/?
As we offered at the outset, the arts are innate and serve as the glue that bonds us together as friends, colleagues and nations. Thus, we are creatively, humanely, and perchance divinely connected to everything else.
Thank you all for your kind attention and feedback.
For customized professional development opportunities in arts integration, or for concerns or questions about this post or series, please contact Morgan Appel , Director of the Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.